More Than A Century of Excellence
Since our company was founded in 1903,
Hilldrup Moving and Storage has been driven to excellence. The past
century has been a journey through challenges, victories, changes
and growth for Hilldrup. Rather than viewing the achievements of
the past century as indication that we have reached our goal, we
view them as milestones that confirm Hilldrup is on the right path
towards continuing to provide the best services available in our
Read through the decades to see how we grew
from a horse and carriage company to a world leader in moving
1900s: In 1903, Mr. R.G.
Hilldrup starts a horse and carriage transportation company in
1910s: Hilldrup provides
horse-drawn vehicles for various uses in Fredericksburg, Virginia,
including hauling baggage from trains and steamships.
1920s: The company
transitions from horse-drawn carriages to motor vehicles. This
shift opens new opportunities in the transportation and moving
1930s: Hilldrup services have
expanded to include moving and storage, bus and taxi rides, rigging
and freighting. Hilldrup begins providing services for
Mary Washington College, including hauling baggage and taxi
1940s: In 1940, R.G. Hilldrup
sells the business to C.B. McDaniel, a company employee. Mr.
McDaniel had been a devoted employee for eight years before buying
1950s: Mr. McDaniel makes the
decision to sell all divisions of Hilldrup except moving and
storage. By narrowing the company’s focus, employees were able to
refine their moving expertise.
1960s: In the 1960s, Hilldrup
partnered with what is now the largest and most honored van line in
the world, United Van Lines. This enabled Hilldrup to significantly
expand its service area.
1970s: In 1976, C.B. McDaniel
turned control of the company over to his son, Charles G. McDaniel.
In 1977 the Orlando, FL branch begins operations.
1980s: Hilldrup’s vision of
growth and dedication to greatness is expanded by pursuing new
markets and opening new branches. In 1986, Hilldrup headquarters
move from Fredericksburg to Stafford, VA. In 1989, the Richmond, VA
branch begins operations.
1990s: Hilldrup expands its
global offerings by creating Hilldrup International. Hilldrup
Commercial is created to better meet the needs of our commercial
and industrial customers. In 1993, the Greenville, SC branch begins
operations. In 1996, the Raleigh-Durham, NC branch begins
operations. In 1999, the Charlotte, NC branch begins
2000s: As Hilldrup begins its second century of
service, our commitment to training and quality service are
reinforced through key international certifications. In 2003 we
received our ISO 9001:2000 certification that reflects the rigorous
attention to quality standards that is at the heart of every move
we complete. Hilldrup International achieved FAIM/ISO certification
in 2002, the only quality assurance standard for international
moving and one that is earned by less than three percent of
international moving companies. In 2005, Charles W. McDaniel
became the third McDaniel to lead the Hilldrup Companies. In 2007,
the Atlanta, GA branch begins operations.
The Hilldrup Companies are imbued with tradition and the
strength of family, which has created a sense of stability within
the company. The name “Hilldrup” invokes a feeling of trust and
quality in anyone who has relied on their services at one time or
Have more questions about our moving services?
Call us today: 800-476-6683