The Best Moving Services Company Since 1903
Our vision, to be the best moving services company, period, drives our team members in all that we do – serving our customers, each other and our communities.
Hilldrup embodies longevity as we have been in business since 1903, have been owned by the McDaniel family since 1940 amidst the many changes and expansions and now have the fourth generation of the McDaniel family working at the business.
Our leadership team provides the strategic direction of the company and is comprised of talented leaders with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Hilldrup is built on one simple concept: Be the best at what we do, and success will follow. And it has, greatly.
We are proud to live in our communities, work in our communities and give back to our communities. It’s what inspires us to donate and volunteer with our myriad of community partners and organizations.
Certifications & Affiliations
We are proud to be affiliated with leading industry organizations to further support our customers, while our certifications demonstrate our commitment to excellence and best practices in all that we do.
Our Dedicated Team Has What You Need to Get You Where You’re Going
Since 1903, Hilldrup’s commitment has been to provide the highest quality services for you, your family, your employees and your business’ moving and storage needs. Whether you’re moving across the street or across the world, Hilldrup can help get you there. As one of the industry’s largest and most honored agency groups, we understand what is needed for consistent growth, financial stability and sustainability. We strive every day to exceed customers’ expectations as we get them where they are going.
Now in our fourth generation of family ownership, our commitment to quality and integrity remains our guiding principle. Maybe you’re looking for a professional, vetted mover to assist with your next relocation or searching for a career path where you can truly be a part of an award-winning team. Either way, you will find that Hilldrup’s vision remains steadfast – to simply, be the best moving services company, period.
Our focus and commitment to this guiding vision has allowed Hilldrup to remain and grow as an industry leader. It’s evident in the dedicated employees you’ll interact with, the quality service you’ll receive and the accolades that we’ve earned over the years.
Hilldrup by the numbers:
- 10 branches
- 900 employees
- 1.5 million square feet of storage space
- 262,000 square feet of temperature and humidity-controlled vaulted storage
- 25,000 moves performed last year in all 50 states and in 157 countries
- 16,000+ video-virtual surveys conducted for domestic and international moves in 2021
- $92,000+ cash and in-kind donations to charitable organizations companywide, in 2021
- 26-time honoree of the United Van Lines’ Customer Choice Award
Our United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit affiliation:
Hilldrup is affiliated with both United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit, two of the largest national van lines. Both United and Mayflower are a part of UniGroup, Inc., the parent company of the two brands as well as of UniGroup Worldwide and UniGroup Logistics.
Hilldrup has been an agent-owner and stakeholding representative of UniGroup, Inc. since 1964. We are the largest household goods hauling agent on the East Coast, and the third largest agency group for UniGroup. We proudly represent the national brands of United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit as together, along with the other agents, we are the largest network of professional mobility experts providing global infrastructure and complementary services. Being a part of these national networks allows us access to fully-vetted, background-checked and similarly trained resources across the country, allowing uninterrupted service no matter where our customers are moving from and to.
When doing business with Hilldrup, we are able to provide a quote and services from both our United arm and our Mayflower arm. In fact, whether you choose to do an in-home or virtual survey, our team can provide you with a price quote for both United and Mayflower as part of your survey results. While some customers prefer moving with one brand over another, we provide the same quality service with the same trained, background-checked and certified team members whether you chose to move with Hilldrup United or Hilldrup Mayflower. We look forward to serving you!
As voted by our customers, team and industry:
- Recognized by The Free Lance-Star as 2020’s “Best Moving Company” as voted by our customers in Fredericksburg and Stafford. We were also honored to win Best of Spartanburg’s 2021 Best Employer and 2018’s “Best Place to Work” in Fredericksburg for our Corporate Headquarters. The Richmond Times-Dispatch has also recognized Hilldrup as the “Best Moving Company” in Richmond for multiple years!
- President’s Quality Award, the only four-time winner of this award, the highest honor given to any United Van Lines agent, which is based on a variety of quality factors including consistently high customer ranking, outstanding claims ratio, excellent safety ranking and outstanding “willingness to recommend” score.
- Multiple Sales Achievement Awards for Residential, National Account, Government and International: Hilldrup is routinely recognized as the top national account, residential and government agent for all of United Van Lines. We are the top international agent for UniGroup.
- Multiple United Van Lines Van Operator of the Year recipients including Oluwaseun “Olu” Osinowo in 2020; Johnny Abbott in 2019; Robert “Bob” Fitzgerald in 2015 and Dennis Putnam, Jr. in 2012. In 2020, William “Billy” Poole was honored with Mayflower’s Van Operator of the Year award. Bob Fitzgerald also was recognized as the American Moving and Storage Association’s (AMSA) Lifetime Achievement Award winner in 2017.
- Awarded the FAIMPLUS Quality Assurance Certification most recently in 2020; in addition, we have received FIDI Academy’s Commitment to Excellence Gold Award for multiple years. In accordance with the FAIM requirements and in order to promote the development of employees within the industry, FIDI is keen to reward companies for their support in driving and promoting international industry knowledge amongst their employees.
To see more of our achievements, visit our Corporate Accolades page.